[Fot] Plane & dragster motors: Deep thoughts

John Herrera jrherrera90 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 8 15:58:46 MST 2007

>If we're including experimental engines here, how about the Lycoming
>sitting
>down at Paul Garber (unless they moved it to Udvar-Hazy); four rows of nine
>cylinders, liquid cooled. I disremenber the displacement, but I think it
>was
>about 7000 cubic inches and 5000 HP.

Update: It's the Lycoming XR-7755-3 from 1945 and it is on display at NASM's
Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Airport. 7755 cubic inches.

I also like the Napier Nomad II Model E. 145 on display there. Flat 12
diesel, injected, supercharged, turbo-compound (the exhaust gasses spin a
turbine that turns the crankshaft through a fluid coupling); quite possibly
the most complex recip aero engine ever made.

John