[Roadsters] Driving and Exploring

Alvin Gogineni alvingogi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 22:21:25 MDT 2021

Joined my friend Geoff in his 1963 Lotus 7 for a day of driving. We started
off headed to Mt. Hamilton but it was just too wet/slippery. We ended up
driving up to Mt. Umunhum. The road up to the summit is so much fun we did
it twice!
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/IMG_1767.jpeg
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/IMG_1740.jpeg

I'm proud of this shot, check out the speed sign!
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/IMG_1805.jpeg

This video shows our ascent to the summit of Mt. Umunhum from two points of
1) Following the Lotus (camera inside of Datsun)
2) Following the Datsun (camera on Lotus roll-bar)

https://youtu.be/PeFEYbtfNf0

Enjoy!

I wanted to capture how smooth and how technical it is from the park gates
to the very top. There's a bit of everything here from nice sweepers,
switchbacks and multiple connect-the-dot turn sections. The road itself is
relatively short: only 5.5 miles, but you gain ~3,500 feet of elevation.
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/IMG_1797.jpeg
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/IMG_1813.jpeg

The 7 is fun to watch, Geoff wears ballistic-spec goggles and the interior
gets littered with rocks/pebbles:
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/IMG_1789.jpeg

After our fun in San Jose we split and I drove 90 miles to explore Sunol
Regional Wilderness. Another beautiful and different landscape out there.
Not a road for driving, but Welch Creek is single lane cruising.
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/IMG_1880.jpeg
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/IMG_1883.jpeg

Roadster was filthy, and in the grime a subtle design cue was
revealed...have you noticed the slight outward flare of the rear fender
near the door sill?
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/IMG_1899.jpeg
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/IMG_1891.jpeg

It was a great day for driving and exploring!