[Roadsters] Oops - dropped a washer . . .

Stephen Holst stephen.holst at randrglobal.com
Wed May 17 15:36:11 MDT 2017

Unless you are lucky at Las vegas and never lose a bet.  I would find the
washer as the consequences of it being in the wrong place would be
catastrophic.  The timing chains on these 2000s are tempermental and the
tensioners are notably worn on all of our cars so it doesn't take too much
to eat it up.  And the next event is a piston coming up when a valve is in
its way.
Steve
SRL 311 04711

On 5/16/17, 1:42 PM, "Charles Hubbard via Datsun-roadsters"
<datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net> wrote:

> It¹s been a while since I pulled apart a 2000 engine. If the washer jumps into
> the timing chain, you risk major damage if either timing chain blows apart
> because then you damage pistons and valves. If either timing chain gets
> damaged but remains intact, you get metal shards mixed in the oil which isn¹t
> good for the bearings. I encountered that on an engine I rebuilt; the chains
> and valves were intact but I had to replace piston rings and crankshaft
> bearings due to the metal fragments doing wear damage, and I considered that
> to be minimal damage.

Dropping the oil pan to do a look-see is a good idea,
> along with a snake camera (they have a LED light at the camera end to light up
> what you¹re looking at).

Fred
66 2L
SSF, CA