[Roadsters] Gas Tank Refurbishing

stevenehlers at charter.net stevenehlers at charter.net
Fri Sep 16 15:34:45 MDT 2016

Not to back spin Gramm's recommendation ,however since the product he
mentions is in Australia or the Uk ,shipping the product price wise
would be more prohibitive than a US brand . The company that sells
POR-15
has the same kind of Gas tank cleaning and coating system . I have
used it with with great results. Of course the car wash cleaning out
will be a first starting place for these wretched nasty units often
talked about ,however you have to put a coating on the inside to seal
it and keep the metal from rusting ,especially when acids are used to
clean rust out for the cleanest metal before coating. Our customer
tanks are also sometimes sent to a gas tank shop for the same
treatment. All Datsun Z cars made after 1975 have a pic-up screen in
them that has to be removed before the coating process. I have to cut
an opening in the top of the tank to get to it and remove it and patch
it after the modification. The fuel filter will do the job needed from
now on . No screen needed in the tank. I also get tanks in that were
coated and have the screens plugged up and they wonder why the engine
is not getting proper fuel supply. They thought they had a good
tank...
That is my recommendation to anybody interested in working with Any
gas tank is to verify an existence of a pic up screen. They will
always be clogged on the rusted out tanks....
Steve
Rising Sun Performance
The "Z car Experts" of Texas