[Roadsters] Slightly off-topic, but related to Roadster issues

Gary McCormick gkmcc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 14 10:51:14 MDT 2016

Dealing with the noxious contents of the gas tank in a Roadster that has been sitting for years has been a common topic in this forum; I now have that issue with the other non-running vintage Japanese vehicle in my garage, my 1972 Yamaha LS-2, which I have rolled out and am going to get running for the first time since ≈1981. I don’t plan on riding this little 100cc two-stroke twin very often, or very far, but it was my first street-legal motorized transportation (a 16th-birthday present), and I think it deserves to see the light of day again. And maybe getting the Yamaha running will finally inspire me to finish cleaning out the garage so that I can get the 1970 2000 Roadster back on the street.

Anyway, there is a small amount of liquid in the bike’s two-gallon gas tank; pretty smelly stuff, too. What have any of you done when it comes to cleaning out and de-sludging a gas tank? Is there a particular solvent or cleaner that works well to remove the remnants of decades-old gasoline? I haven’t looked into the carburetors yet, but I am assuming that I will have to clean them up internally, also. The petcock has been closed all these years, but there was certainly some amount of gasoline in the float bowls of the little twin Mikunis.
Thanks in advance for your advice,
Gary McCormickSan Jose, CA1970 2000, SRL13291