[Roadsters] Fuel gauge sender rebuild

Charles Hubbard charlie at hubco.com
Thu Sep 1 12:20:43 MDT 2016

Has anyone ever rebuilt the copper winding on a 1964 1500 fuel gauge?  The wire from the winding broke off my tank sender.  I ended up soldering it back onto the windings and believe that it used to be a solid strand of copper from end to end.  Since the winding is the connection between the ground and the gauge, I do not believe that the long end of the winding grounds to the housing.  The 1500 is a positive ground and grounding the wire from the gauge pegs it full.  Unlike later years, there is no resistor between the sender and the gauge on a 1500.  A dab of solder now goes across sever of the windings.  The most that the gauge will  show now is 1/2 full.  At least it's not showing 1/2 empty!  ;-)

Any ideas on how to go about this and what wire to use would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

Charlie Hubbard
1964 SPL310 1500