[Roadsters] Exhaust leak

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Mon Oct 27 18:24:18 MDT 2014

Chris,

1600 or 2000?  Year?  If '68 or later?  If so, smog equipment removed?  Header or stock manifold?

How do you know it's an exhaust leak?  2000s with the air injection ports plugged frequently make a "chirping" noise which sounds like an exhaust leak, but is actually the exhaust pulses passing over the injection nozzle ports in the head.

Stock 2000 manifolds crack along the center seam.  On '68 and later, there is supposed to a brace between the front of the exhaust manifold and the alternator mount which relieves some of the strain on the manifold.  It incorporates a heat shield for the alternator, as well.  It is usually missing.  I'm not sure about the '67s, or '68 and later 1600s, but I believe some sort of heat shield was incorporated.  I have no idea whether stock 1600 manifolds cracked the way 2000s do.

Gary