[Roadsters] Volvo Brake Conversion

Pete Peters ppeters914 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 23 13:32:22 MDT 2014

Ken,

I am guessing you're referring to the article in the 311s.org Tech Wiki:

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.php?n=TechSection.VolvoCalipers

If yes, there are pages and pages in the 311s forums discussing this conversion, both the original and the newer one that uses an Altima vented rotor. You might want to look at those if you haven't already. Some highlights:

- Volvo 240 series was produced 1973-1993. Did not arrive in US market until 1975.

- Volvo used both Girling and Ate calipers. All the posts say to use only Girling. I don't know why. Ate works great on my Porsche 914. <g>

- Rotors were both solid and vented. You want the early calipers (Wiki mentions 1975) if you're using solid rotors, later calipers (1985-1993) for vented rotors.

- spyder bought later model Raybestos calipers from RockAuto.

FWIW, I considered doing this conversion when I first got my '66 in 2004 and discovered.....NO BRAKES!!!! Even bought one of the last junction block sets produced by Breck Meyer. Did some more research. The cost difference was minimal (about $50 at the time) plus I was unable to find a single person who said the Volvo brakes worked any better than the stock brakes (this was before the Altima Ventor Rotor Conversion was created). I then got a great deal on slightly used stock brakes, so never bothered.

Hope this helps.

Pete