[Roadsters] Trying to Resuscitate Trixie

dave n dave at ranteer.com
Thu Jul 31 20:38:54 MDT 2014

Film it and post it on youtube!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Gordon Glasgow
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:29 PM
To: chuckkyle at mac.com ; datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Trying to Resuscitate Trixie

If you have a new (known good) alternator, go ahead and throw it in. If the
battery has been sitting there flat for two years, it probably won't hold a
charge for long. Replace it. Also replace the voltage regulator. This may
have been the culprit in the first place.

How much gas was in the tank? I just helped start a roadster that had been
sitting for four years and the gas was fine. The tank was almost full when
parked. Sniff the gas at the filler. If it smells like gas and not kerosene,
it's probably good.

My usual cautious "coming back to life" procedure is to do the following:

1. drain and replace the oil and filter (if it's a 2000, I pull the cam
cover and pour one quart directly over the cam and down the timing chain)
2. disconnect the wire to the points at the distributor
3. remove the sparkplugs
4. squirt a little oil in each cylinder
5. crank the engine until you see oil pressure (but not more than about 15
secs at a shot)
6. put the sparkplugs back in
7. reconnect the points
8. prime the carbs