[Roadsters] 4 speed vs 5 speed

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Sun Sep 22 00:41:41 MDT 2013

Dave,

Probably.  At some point, Nissan extended the opening in the top of the
trans tunnel so it could accept either a 4-speed or a 5-speed.  Not sure
exactly when that occurred.

Another issue is the speedometer connection at the transmission.  If you use
the same mounting for the rear trans mount for the 5-speed as with the
4-speed, the 90-degree adapter will not clear the side of the trans tunnel.
A friend has an early '67 1600 with a U20 and 5-speed.  The PO who installed
it drilled a ~1-1/2 hole in the side of the trans tunnel to allow the speedo
cable to be connected through the passenger compartment.  I am told that you
can make the 5-speed work by lowering the rear trans mount bracket so the
top bolt holes in the mounting bracket align with the lower captive nuts in
the frame.  Can't say for sure, though.

Those reasons, and the fact that it will be difficult to get factory-type
trim -- you'll need a shift surround form a '67-1/2 2000 -- that I left the
4-speed in my '66 1600 when I put in a U20 motor years ago.

Gary