[Roadsters] SoCalTT, in the bag

O'Farrell, Fergus P (AS) Fergus.OFarrell at ngc.com
Thu Oct 17 05:38:23 MDT 2013

 SoCalTT in the bag.  Great roads, great folk, great roadster owner turnout at the send-off, and several others joining in for part of the stretch along the way.
Eclectic bunch of machinery overall.
A hand rebuilt Devin, with a SBC and a powerglide... why that last choice?
A Peerless. (coach built, glass bodied TR4)
Studebaker Lark (?) with a Pontiac 400
ProStreet '50 Buick with racing seats and sorted suspension
lots of miscellaneous rotaries in things
a bevy of 914bs and Alfa Spiders
ex-roadster owner Eric H in his newly created, flaired, monster BMW 2002

Car ran like a top, U-20 singing all day.  It is asking a lot considering the group I run with had me at 4.5k+ rpms for most of the day.
5.5 hours of driving spread over 7 total.  Sounds grueling but stops every 45-60 minutes to let those in the subgroup (the 1275cc Spridget and Bugeye) catch up.
I think the total was 320 miles the first day and 240 the second.
Managed to get some backpressure into the coolant recovery tank, premonition of pinhole leak in head gasket?

more info to follow as the investigation continues,
Fergus O

pics (all cars, very little of the beautiful scenery) at:
https://dougdill.shutterfly.com/32

PS: I encourage any who can to join in in this type of event.
While what I describe is pretty fast pace, that is just my current preference.
Most take it at a more leisurely touring pace (and get to take more pics of the gorgeous scenery)
Great gearhead talk at all the stops, and plenty of opportunity to inspect (and repair) others cars if you are into that.
I tried on a P1800ES for size, and I fit, albeit with a much smaller steering wheel change.