[Roadsters] it keeps running solution

Dana Scribner dscrib2 at hotmail.com
Tue May 28 17:14:07 MDT 2013

A little while ago I had the problem described below and
asked for help. Thank
you all who answered me. Once I read the emails and did a
little testing this
is the solution I came up with. Since I have the 60 amp GM
alternator with a
30 fuse between it & the battery. This is what I did: I
spliced into the line
after the fuse & before the battery and put in a 70
amp relay. One of those
little square jobs. You could use a 40 amp but I got
the 70 amp at our
favorite price. I used a double pole rely and taped off the
center pole. These
terminals on a 70 amp relay are 3/8 wide. To make the relay
turn Off & On I
had to splice into the accessory wire coming off the
ignition switch and
connect it to 1 terminal and ground the other. These are <
wide terminals. I
used the accessory to activate the relay because the Run
terminal would just
give me the same problem that I was trying to solve. This
is an easy solution
and works for me. Thanks everyone.
Dana S
1969 2000 this shuts off now.

My roadster wont stop running. When I turn the key to the garage
it keeps running and when I go to the lock position the starter turns and it
keeps running. I have upgraded to an electronic distributor, I love it and
dont
have a problem with it. At that time I put in a MSD 8202 distributor with an
internal resistor and new wires. Everything is wired according to the
instructions. Here is what happens. I can start the car and it runs without
a problem but when I stop and go to shut the car off it doesnt. It keeps
running. The only way to stop it is to disconnect the ignition wire to the
coil or the ground terminal on the battery. I have checked the ignition
switch
which was fine. The ignition wire to the coil is good. When I disconnected
the
connector on the ignition switch and it keeps running. I replaced the coil
with an old Flamethrower I had and it made no difference. Like the bunny it
kept on running. I did notice that if the rpms stayed below a point it would
shut off. It did this at 1,000; 1500; 2000 rpms but when I got to 2500 and
the GM alternation kicked in I couldnt shut it off. So this is where I am.
Does anyone know what is happening; why its happening and most important
what
is the solution?