[Roadsters] Is it a bad fuel pump?

Roy Haslett hrhaslett at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 18:21:59 MDT 2013

I had this exact experience driving up to Solvang this year.  My 1600
sputtered once or twice and then lost all power.  I pulled the fuel line off
the carbs and turned it over...no gas came out.  I then did a roadside R&R of
the fuel pump.  It checked out fine.  I blew out the fuel line to the tank.
Reassembled everything and....no start but I did have gas now...I still fail
to understand what happened.   After further handwringing and help from Peter
who stopped to aid me, we concluded there was no spark and that the coil was
bad (it was only a few months since I replaced it but who knows)  A ride into
town and purchased a new coil.  Upon returning to the side of Hwy 101 I
replaced the coil, no change.  After a last ditch phone call for advice before
sending for the tow truck, it was pointed out to me that even though my points
were only 2 months old with 400 miles on them, they could still be bad.  I
grabbed a set from the parts store and
 headed back to 101.  Installed the new points and the car started right up,
runs great.  I will change out to pertronix at some point but for now I carry
an extra fuel pump and sets of points in the trunk.