[Roadsters] Bouncy speedo

peter harrison granvillecomputing at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 10 14:45:28 MDT 2013

It is HIGHLY unlikely to be the transmission - the speedo cable transmission
end is plastic - mated to metal from the tranny - so the pinion would fail
first.
You can disconnect the transmission end and chuck it into a drill and run it
and see what happens. The cable is 'rifled' such that it is always forcing
lubricant UP while it is rotating - while obviously the lubricant will follow
gravity when not in action. There is a small seal at the transmission end
which would be well worth replacing in any case and the o-ring which surrounds
the pinion carrier. This will return the system to its essentially 'sealed'
state.
Maybe Jon Frampton (caraddict) might have some better answers since he is well
familiar with our gauges.
If you don't get answers from us here on the list - post to 311s.org - it
seems more people are likely to chime in.

Peter Harrison
818 448 3181

> Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 18:15:11 +0930
> From: graemes at internode.on.net
> To: datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Bouncy speedo
>
> My money is on the speedo cable.
> Assuming it is mechanically intact, it probably needs a good clean out
> and re-lube with the appropriate grease.
> Do NOT use oil!
> On 10/07/2013 5:45 AM, twokeelya at gmail.com wrote:
> > I'm sure this has been an issue, but I can't find any info on it. When I
> > drive to work, according to my Speedo, I'm driving somewhere between 20
and
> > 45 MPH. How can you tell if's it the transmission, speedo cable or
> > Speedometer?
> > thank you
> > Richard
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/graemes@internode.on.n