[Roadsters] O/T Bronco coolant question

Durf & Sue Hyson dhyson at charter.net
Tue Jul 9 15:32:32 MDT 2013

There are 3 simple " first attempt things"  you can do . You can do the
first on your own . The second will require help . What you are
describing sounds like the first warning of a failing head gasket . So
far it has only failed slightly . You have a breech in the gasket
between two of the small holes . Both are pressure flows , The oil
passage pressure is way higher than the coolant flow pressure so you are
getting transfer from the high side to the lower side . The gasket
hasn't failed between the coolant flow passage and the cylinder bore yet
therefore no water in the oil yet .

1.) Do a visual inspection of the head to block joint . You are looking
for the evidence of a localized oil leak or weep from that seam . If you
have ever seen a Z that has had a head gasket failure most of them
develop a weep line directly above the oil filter long before the gasket
completely fails . If you find evidence of a weep clean it up . Then
start the truck up and let it run for 1/2 an hour . If it was a weep it
will be wet again with fresh oil .

2.) Slightly overfill the bottle so it is 3/4ths or slightly more full .
Leave the cap off . Fire up the engine and see if you get a geyser out
of the bottle or if you can see any evidence of what looks like a water
spring in a lake . The coolant in the bottle doesn't really have a flow
of it's own so it should be pretty stable .

2.) Go to your local garage or inspection station and have them use
their inspection machine to check the coolant bottle for Hydrocarbon
emissions . There shouldn't be any .
If there are and you are lucky you can determine which side of the motor
is the problem by looking at the spark plugs . What you are looking for
is 1 or maybe 2 adjacent ones that seem abnormally clean compared to the
rest . Steam cleaning will do that . A tiny head gasket failure will
steam clean them .

Good luck . I hope one of these helps .

Durf