[Roadsters] My roadster Driving (print)

Gary McCormick gkmcc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 25 09:00:40 MDT 2012

Aah, the dreaded decreasing radius turn - the traffic engineer's way of
implementing natural selection.

I ran afoul of a decreasing radius turn once on my motorcycle, on a dinky,
windy back road in the Coast Range hills west of Carmel Valley. Got into it
too hot, couldn't slow down/turn tighter fast enough to stay on the pavement
and ran up onto the bank on the outside of the curve. All would have been good
except for the power pole in the bank -- which I didn't hit, but I did hit the
washout below it, which catapulted me up and up and to the right, back across
the road with my axles at about eye level to my buddy who was a few seconds
behind me on his bike. I landed on my wheels, at a dead stop, on the shoulder
on the opposite side of the road.

I told that story a few days later to a couple of the not-so-bright guys who
manned the parts counter at a local motorcycle shop. They had problems with
the meaning of decreasing radius -- then one of them said, "Oh, I know what a
decreasing radius turn is -- it's one you don't make it around."

I think he nailed the definition on that one.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA
'70 2000 SRL311-13291

--- On Wed, 7/25/12, Hall, Phillip B. (MSFC-EE11) <phillip.b.hall at nasa.gov>