[Roadsters] 1600 L motor

Stan Chernoff az589 at lafn.org
Wed Feb 29 11:14:08 MST 2012

It should not be a problem to install an L16 or L18 into a 64
roadster.  I installed an L-18 in a '69 car somewhere around 1980.  I
made kits to install L series engines in roadsters for many
years.  It is possible to install these engines using the original
rubber mounts in their original locations.  The only modification to
the car that was required was a pocket in the front crossmember that
could be made with a large pall pein hammer to avoid oil pump
interference.  There was no interference with any steering
component.  The L engine was mounted at the correct angle so that SSS
S-U carb setups had the float bowls level.  For some reason the L20B
didn't seem to clear the hood on a 65-67 roadster?

Four cylinder L series are not plentiful at this time.

I quit making the kits several years ago.

Stan
===