[Roadsters] Alternative to Bimetallic Strip Gauge Regulator?

RWM RWM at RWMann.com
Mon Apr 2 12:51:06 MDT 2012

Exactly, Linda.  Depending on the hardware specs, each 1N4001 silicon
rectifier diode drops the voltage by 0.7-0.8 volts, so for a ~2V drop
and 7-8V output voltage, 3 in series should work, then measure the
output voltage to confirm.

I have no idea how, but turns out the OEM VR bimetallic strip and
heating element had gotten themselves into a twist such that the module
entered either a constant open or constant closed condition.

I re-profiled the spring and burnished the contacts and the OEM seems to
work as designed.   I'll keep it as a backup to the solid state module.