[Roadsters] 1600 Cylinder Head height

robert k. smith rksmith46 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 29 12:33:48 MST 2011

hi marty, IF the problem is, that the head has been milled too much, i would
go the easy
route--- thicker head gasket. it is easier on the wallet, and labor, too.  i
know when
i ran into that problem, the way i found out(and had to remove the head), was,
that
the head gasket failed from high compression.  that might be a concern if you
just mill around the combustion chamber. the other thing to consider, is, did
the
valves hit the piston a few times and clearance themselves ? if so, and you
dont move
the head away from the pistons(thicker h.g.), will the valves hit again?
   btw, the r-16 head thickness is 3.248", according to rallye's info
catalogue. that
makes your head .088" thinner than stock.
    best of luck, bob smith, ohio

> Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:23:57 -0700
> From: escarcega at cox.net
> To: datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net
> Subject: [Roadsters] 1600 Cylinder Head height
>
> Does anyone know the factory thickness of the Cylinder head? Ours reads
about 3.160". Reason I ask is that we had noise in our engine (1967 1600) that
sounded like valves. We pulled the head and it was apparent someone removed
the head before. Pistons have been hitting the bottom of the head, nice shiny
spots on the pistons and the head. Also pistons in Cylinders #1&4 have damage
indentations from the valves hitting them at one time (don't look fresh)

> Do the factory domed pistons have reliefs for valves or no?
>
> I am contemplating milling the area where the pistons are hitting the
combustion chambers to gain the clearance back.
> I surmise that perhaps someone did not adjust the valves correctly and
damaged them when pistons hit them. They were bent, head was removed for a
valve job and someone milled the head too much. (or a poor man's performance
upgrade)

> The other option I'm told is doubling the head gasket or I was told there
was a copper shim made at one time for this problem.
> Neither strike me too well. The downside to milling is I don't know how much
meat is in that area of the head. I think removing .050" should be fine.