[Roadsters] Breakdown on the way to the Glen

Pat Horne pat at hornesystemstx.com
Thu Sep 30 08:06:07 MDT 2010

  Al,

This is a long shot, but you might have gotten one of the studs off it's
intended location when you drilled the larger holes. Put the axle on a
lathe and check the indexing to see that the holes are 90 deg. apart,
and are in a circle centered on the axle bearing surface.

I'm not familiar with the NASCAR parts. What is their quality? Could it
be that there is a groove built into them where your studs sheared?
Also, check you remaining stud for any signs of a crack or bend. Look at
the studs on the other wheel too.

If the wheel spacers are not centered on the studs, when the lug nuts
are tightened down there may be a stress put onside of the side of the
stud where the spacer is closer to the stud, while the other side of the
stud will be causing the wheel to bend because it is not supported as
solidly as the other side. This could cause the side of the stud hole to
be bent in until the lug nut torque is correct, which could put higher
than expected torque on the side of the stud where the spacer is closer.
This is just a guess, and makes me want to go check the spacers on the
front of my 67.5! I used Dorman studs from a Corvair, I think, when I
needed longer studs.

Please let us know what you find.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Al Boettcher, On 9/28/2010 5:37 PM:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice		5026 FM 2001