[Roadsters] How many are there

Dan Zubkoff zubkoff at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 22 10:49:29 MDT 2010

>From the SPL212 Vin Tags that I have seen (From cars titled either 1960 or
1961), all the serial numbers denoted they were actually made in 1960.

The Engine Tags on the SPL212s look like:

SPL212-0-00XXX

The '-0-' refers to the year 1960.

For example, I own car #113. It is Titled as a 1961 Datsun, but the VIN is
SPL212-0-00113

The first SPL212 sold in the USA was Car #198 (SPL212-0-00198).

Much like the spl310/311 roadsters in the early-mid 1960s, it was common
practice to title the car based on when it was sold, rather the manufacture
date.

Dan Zubkoff
Houston, TX