[Roadsters] Timing: I'm not that dumb (am I?)

nmleeds at mindspring.com nmleeds at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 7 11:08:22 MDT 2010

All,

I was messing with my timing a little bit and now I can't seem to get the car to start.  I've used all my standard tricks: 1) cleaning the spark plugs, 2) rotating the distributor to visually confirm that at TDC the rotor is pointing at the number one plug, 3) confirming spark, 4) confirming fuel, 5) recharging the battery.  And still, no start.  I get a very occational detonation when I spin the engine but not enough to even get the engine to sputter over, even once.

What am I missing? Does anyone have any tricks that I can try?  I've tried with choke, without choke, with throttle and without (but I don't know which of these works best).

For further background, the car was running rich before I diabled it.

Nathaniel Leeds
'69 2000 -> frustrating.