[Roadsters] Might as well... Smart upgrades while the engine and trans are out?

Jerry Krakauer jsk977 at optonline.net
Fri Mar 19 15:27:30 MST 2010

Back in the late 60s my first BSR U20 rebuild used the dome top R16 pistons
(fly cut for valve clearance) and a milled head(can't remember how much) for
around a 12.5 CR.
Couple that with considerable spark advance and it was too much for the
stock starter.  My cheap fix was to install a toggle switch for the ignition
and a separate starter button.
The starter did a good job of cranking against the compression alone, so I
would hit the starter button, get the engine turning and then hit the
ignition switch, usually caught on the first attempt. Guess I was luck that
it was always an easy starting engine.

P.S The next rebuild the compression was dialed back to 11.7, where it still
is today.

Jerry Krakauer
SRL311 00099