[Roadsters] Eliza not working - recap

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 09:00:56 MST 2010

> Peter

> 1970 SPL 311
> Using Pertronics dizzy WITH ballast resistor
> Grounds as follows :Negative post to Frame. Negative post to body (bolt that
> holds down the resistor)Frame to engine (passenger side)Alternator to
> frameStarter motor body to frame
> Car "starts" but does not "run" UNLESS the POSITIVE battery post and POSITIVE
> coil are connected.
> With the negative post to BODY disconnected - NO activity - connected -
> everything works - lights etc.

Peter,

If you haven't already I'd strongly suggest getting the '70 wiring
diagram in the Wiki section of 311s.org and getting it printed and
laminated as large as you can. Jim did an outstanding job of
reproducing this thing in color. The larger you can get it printed,
the better, IMO. I think Staples charged me less that $5 for 11 x 17,
around $20 for 24 x 36.

Trace every wire. Even if the colors aren't the same you should be
able to trace point to point. Unless you've pulled wires out of the
molded plastic connectors you should be okay there. Even as simple as
the electrical systems are on these cars a good diagram is is a
tremendous help.

HTH,
Ron