[Roadsters] Sherlock Holmes to the fore - Eliza No Va - HELP

peter harrison granvillecomputing at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 14 20:24:22 MST 2010

Situation

All worked FINE before I took it all apart - only apparent change was
extending the pertonics wires with butt connectors.

Alternator and regulator disconnected

Pertronics ignition, coil + Ballast

Negative Post grounded to chassis
Ground from Chassis to Engine (also grounded alternator to frame) and ground
from bolt holding in starter motor to frame.
Additional 'pigtail' from the negative post grounded to the bolt that holds
the regulator to the body.

All above grounds checked, clean, bright

Starter turns, car fires up when key is turned to 'start' but stops when
released to 'run'

Disconnect the 'pigtail' and I have NOTHING - no lights, NADA.

Connect up the positive battery to the positive coil and the car starts,runs
but doesn't stop until the connection is removed.

Checked all the connectors under the drivers side up against the firewall -
opened them up - all bright shiny - cleaned them and rehooked - no change

Clues

When pigtail is connected, with a light connected to the positive coil, no
light, unground the pigtail, juice to the coil, but no start but light comes
on.

Using trouble light on the positive - i have grounds all over the engine,
block, head chassis, body.

HELP

Good battery - no idea - need to get this running SOON  many miles to go
before i sleep