[Roadsters] Rear brake shoe part number mistake

MH twobeaners at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 7 07:51:56 MST 2010

Yes,  here are the specs from the O'reilly website:
Brake Best - Brake Shoe
Part Number: 371
  a.. Rear
  b.. Bonded
  c.. 8 X 1.38 Inch
  d.. Limited Lifetime Warranty

The brake shoes part numbers thing is a common issue. Here is more info and
the comment I posted on the 311s forum.

Here is the 311s forum link:

http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11332&p=80554&hilit=shoes#p80554

and here is my comment to Linda's question:

According to the specs in the Haynes Manual for 1968 thru 1973 510, the rear
drum for the 510 is also 228.6mm (9.0"), same as the Roadster drum. The
shoes for the 510 will fit the roadster drum, but some people have had
problems with them. By mistake, some parts counter catalogs will list a
smaller 8" or larger 10" arced shoe as being correct for the 510. These
won't work. So make sure they list the correct 510 part numbers for the 9"
shoes.

Linda wrote:
"Does anyone know anything about the 510 drum being slightly smaller than
the Roadster drum? Also then, that if you use 510 shoes on a roadster drum
the arc is slightly different?
Linda"

Mike Hudson  '67 - Stroker / 5-Speed