[Roadsters] Drum brake return springs

MH twobeaners at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 6 14:35:35 MST 2010

Well here's the way I do it on my '67:

Before mounting the shoes on the backing plate, I fit the springs on the
shoes first, then hold the shoes with the linings facing towards me, like
holding a book half-open. Then, I engage the ends of the shoes onto the
wheel cylinder and adjuster, and "unfold" the shoes open and flat against
the backing plate. This gives more leverage than trying to manually stretch
the springs.

There is a special little brake tool that's kind of like a small pry bar
that's bent just right to work with brake springs. I have one, but I never
use it, preferring to just fold them over like I described. Mine's a '67 so
maybe this won't work on the 1500.

Mike Hudson  '67  -Stroker / 5-Speed