[Roadsters] 1960 212 for sale

Eddie eddietude at socal.rr.com
Tue Aug 17 10:24:26 MDT 2010

Paul,

$300?  You gotta be kidding.  This is EXACTLY the cheap arse mentality
of the online Roadster community that make many owners not want to be a
part of it.

Let's take your hypothetical.

The other side is crunched, the engine is gone, and the brakes were
toast.  ONE FENDER is worth far more than $300.  There were 288 of these
cars imported to the US.

All that being said, you are correct, the guy's ad was lousy, didn't
explain what the car's condition was, but the pictures alone showed a
body (at least the part visible), in very good condition.

My biggest concern would be PARTS.  Good luck finding any if stuff was
missing.

Frankly, if the power train and brakes were gone, I'd almost RATHER have
that.  Then I could justify putting that cool older body on a more
modern frame with a modern power train... something I could NOT justify
if the car had all that stuff in working condition...

My guess, the owner is on a fishing trip, testing the waters, seeing
what responses he gets.  My guess is that cheap arse offers will make
him re-think what he does with the car.

FYI, I know of a complete 212 needing full restoration that was sold for
something like $25K.

Eddie