[Roadsters] Just Bought SRL311-07371 - Sitting 17 years!

James Wiseman reefpix at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 17:03:50 MDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

I posted this on the forum but thought I'd cross post here for the folks who
don't use both.  I got some good feedback there.

I guess this is my re-introduction msg too. I used to be active on the list
and the forums back when I owned a '66 1600 back in the 90's. Well, I'm "all
growed up" now and have a home/garage of my own to put to good use. [image:
:-)] I moved out from the Bay Area (lots of roadsters) to Houston - and am
glad to see that there are a few out here. Alas - is Tom Walter still
active? It looks like he stopped participating a looong time ago (dating
myself).  Anyone know what happened to him?

I just bought this car on Ebay:

http://www.reefpix.org/v/Cars/69-datsun-2000/

Will hopefully be here on Wednesday (fingers crossed).

The car has been in a garage under a cover since 1993! So superficially she
looks pretty good (some rust at rear of front wheel-wells is all I can see
from the pix) but I am gearing up for a thorough project.

My question for the group is what is the "procedure" for getting a roadster
running again after sitting this long? I read the excellent article on the
Wiki (http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.p ...
on.StartUp<http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.php?n=TechSection.StartUp>)
but I have a feeling I'm in for a lot more.

Here's what I have a feeling I'll be doing:

New or rebuilt brake and clutch master (hopefully ok)
New or rebuilt brake calipers and cylinders
Carb cleaning and maybe throttle re-bush
Gas tank cleaning and possible coating
Cooling system total breakdown and cleaning, re-core radiator (I live in TX)
Water pump????
Fuel pump - not sure. Replace, or go electric?
Wheel bearings and axle/chassis re-grease
Steering box/linkages - I hope these are OK [image: :-)]
Pop valve cover and check tensioner and l-bracket
Pop oil pan and check for debris, have a look at rods/bearings and oil pump
New top vinyl eventually. Frame looks all there.

What are y'all's thoughts? What should I definitely plan for, what should I
expect, and what should I check out when the car gets here?

Thanks - and it's good to be back!

James Wiseman