[Roadsters] Inner fender rust repair and proofing

Tom Hendricksen tom at datsun2000.com
Thu Apr 15 11:12:08 MDT 2010

Tim,

Eastwood has a waxy-oily substance introduced to me as WaxOil, which is a
self-sealing rust killing chemical that is applied with an undercoat nozzle
and never hardens or peels off.  If you take a look at page 9 of my web site
you will see pictures of the application tool as well as the product.  It is
called Heavy Duty Anti Rust on the can.  While I had things open I drilled a
hole in the front cover of the rocker panel and sent the nozzle to the rear
fender wall, then pulled the trigger and drew the nozzle forward as it
sprayed this stuff all over inside of the rocker panel.  It should be
leaking out of the drain holes, so be sure to have a sheet of plastic on the
floor to catch the excess.  When I was finished I used furnace tape to cover
the 1/2" hole I had drilled.  I have used furnace tape as a temporary cover
for a couple of small exterior body holes while I wait to either learn how
to properly weld them or have it done by someone who knows what they are
doing.  It has been there for over 6 years and is just now showing it's age.
I also used it to cover the seat mounting holes when I installed the Miata
seats.  That tape is still in perfect condition.  It should work well in
protected areas under the fender, and maybe for the hole you are talking
about if the structural integrity is not in danger.  Especially if you
enlarge the hole and shoot the WaxOil inside of the pillar.

One caution to keep in mind.  WaxOil is a flammable substance, so I would
not plan to do welding in the areas where you have already applied it to the
car.

If you need a template to locate the captive nuts for the fender there is a
template on page 8 of my web site.  I just printed it out and held it in
place to match the rocker panel to mark the nut locations and all 4 bolts
went in without any problem at all after welding in the new sheet metal with
the captive nuts welded into position.

My web site is: www.datsun2000.com

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde