[Roadsters] welding main shaft nut on 5spd

The Ken Pearce ken__pearce at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 11:16:41 MDT 2010

Ok, here are two people saying that they tighten the big nut against the
washer (even though the shop manual says "don't tighten").  If I tighten my
big nut (this thread is ripe with humor) against the balled washer (rotfl)
even hand tight, then my 5th gear no longer spins on its roller bearings, at
least not by hand.  Do I need to file down my welded 5th gear or is the only
real thing that needs to be tightened is the lock nut against the main
nut????

Any advice or addition nut jokes welcomed...

Ken