[Roadsters] Oil pan gasket

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Wed Sep 30 10:58:35 MDT 2009

Steve,

Oil pans and gaskets are interchangeable between the 1600 and 2000.  Notee
that, on the pan, there is a raised ridge on  the mating edge.  If you
overtighten the bolts, that ridge will crush the cork gasket and create
leaks.  I used Permatex RTV on the last one I installed.

Since none of my torque wrenches can be relied upon at 3.5 foot-pounds, I
just tighten the bolts with my hand around the head of the rachet so I
cannot put too much torque on things, and make sure I just compress the lock
washers -- no more.  With the RTV in there, you don't need much.  Let the
RTV cure before you fire up the motor.

Gary