[Roadsters] OT: EFI, Temp / Atmospheric Pressure Controls

Daryl Smith drlsmith at dccnet.com
Fri Sep 25 12:09:27 MDT 2009

I am also not aware of any efi systems which compensate for fuel
temperature.
A 'speed density' system monitors and adjusts for intake air temperature and
manifold absolute pressure, calculating the air density and thus the
required fuel from those.
Engine coolant temperature also is monitored to calculate fuel enrichment
needed when the engine is cold and the fuel doesn't stay in suspension,
basicly a 'choke', but adjusts throughout the engine temperature range, I
believe, as higher engine temps may benefit from the air/fuel being more
homogenously mixed.

I am not familiar with how a MAF (mass air flow) system works, but the fuel
calculations are mainly from the 'mass' of the air through the MAF sensor,
with adjustments for temperature etc......

I have seen 'hotrod' systems which, depending on what is wanted, run the
fuel through either ice, or a heater.
The heater to have the fuel easier to mix with the air and stay in
suspension in the airfuel mix (as opposed to adhereing to the runner walls).
Many who do this are actually trying to get better milage, not more power.
The ice just doesn't make sense to me............

Daryl