[Roadsters] What is in todays fuel that makes everything gum up?

Scott Ulrich scott8933 at socal.rr.com
Mon Sep 21 10:06:18 MDT 2009

Good to know. I remember from my street racing days that some of the people
*said *they were using avgas to fill up because you could get higher
octane. But as with everything else Street Racing related, I knew that 90%
of it was probably just big talk.

There were (maybe still are?) some gas stations around that sell "racing
fuel" - which was something like 105 or 110 octane. But again this may have
been just a marketing thing: regular fuel with some off-the-shelf additive
in it. The only people I ever saw filling up with it were Valley-Rednecks in
their jacked-up (or slammed) trucks. Certainly nobody that actually had a
ultra-high compression or forced induction - just a lot of forced-attitude.

When I worked for a guy who raced for real, in IT-S class, we just used
regular pump gas. But then those were theoretically stock engines. (How the
RX-7 guys got away with their gigantic extra ports while still passing
inspection, we never exactly knew. Hey, sure - every street rotary goes
blaaat-blaaat-blaaat when it idles..)

Other, higher-up classes certainly must have been using "real" racing gas
though. So I suppose that could be an option, if its stable and you know
where to get it. Also a good excuse to up the compression to 11:1 to take
advantage of the extra octane you're putting in. Again I'd differ to the
list - anyone know the scoop on the various forms of "racing" fuel?