[Roadsters] electrical saga update, back on the road with no melting plastic smells...

O'Farrell, Fergus P (AS) Fergus.OFarrell at ngc.com
Tue Sep 15 14:12:33 MDT 2009

Since all have helped out so much with my wiring woes, thought I'd give
ya the latest update.
(you know the background: I pulled a "triumph" and let all the smoke out
of my blinker/brake lite circuit, after having HOT fuses for quite some
time)

The process was to install a new ATC fuse jumper, as that is what melted
before, and run the car and put a gauge across the slots, but my
El-Cheapo multimeter had a 10A amp test range, so any overage (which I
knew I would have) would have fried it.
So, I unplugged all the side markers, and since I have both the stock
ammeter and a voltmeter functioning, I monitored them while connecting
each of the side markers, and found the rears were fine and the fronts
are still the culprit(s).

No more hot fuses.  No front side markers, but they are really only
ornamental anyway, right?
Rear running lites don't seem too bright (rear brake lites are SUPER
bright), but I was testing in the daytime, so the true test is when it
is dark out.

I'll work my way to the fronts, but next project is with the front end
up in the air (comp springs, new shocks, new ball joints, new b-j boots
all around), so I think that will be one of the "take a break, keep the
hands clean" side jobs while she is up on blocks.

Fergus O
(the Elmer Fudd of Electrons)