[Roadsters] Modern car body design changes

Gary Boone gboone70 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 8 23:56:31 MDT 2009

Hey roadster fans,
Just a little trivia here.  I'm sure everyone has noticed that over the last 3 to 5 years that front end body designs have transformed from a wedge shape to a very blunt front shape, starting with European cars.  I read in one of the car magazines at least 5 years ago, that this concept of a blunt front end  started in Germany because of the need to reduce the severity of injury to pedestrians when they get hit by a car.  I think that may not be a totally legitimate reason for designing a car with a blunt front end body design when  it increases the cars' coefficient of drag  as opposed to a wedge shape.  It seems it would be detrimental to fuel mileage and performance at higher speeds.  Pedestrians need to be smarter in my opinion.  Now the Asian  and American car makers are adopting the same body design.  I have not checked out the coefficient of drag on the modern cars.  Car magazines once upon a time would publish the coefficient of drag but not
 anymore.   Maybe the engineers have figured out a way to make a front blunt just as aerodynamic as a wedge front end.  Anyone seen any coefficient of drag data on these blunt cars?  BTW, our roadsters have that blunt front end.  Is there any published info on coefficient of drag on Datsun roadsters?
Gary