[Roadsters] Steering control box

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Tue Sep 8 11:46:17 MDT 2009

Bill,

Sounds like you have an early box (Type"A").  The bearings you mention
are not real expensive, but the worm gear is very expensive, if it needs to be
replaced.  Those bearings, in at least one steering box configuration, are
intended to be loose, which is a good reason to not let the roller peg slip
out of the roller when taking the box apart.

I was not able to remove the
early box from my '67-1/2 with the Pittman arm in place.  I turned the thing
every which way, but could not find an angle which would let me get it out.
(I have been told it is possible, but I couldn't do it.)  So, I bolted the box
back up, and used a link separator, a.k.a. "pickle fork", along with a 48
ounce hammer to get the arm off the steering box shaft.  I thought it wouldn't
come off at all, so, accompanied with language appropriate to the
circumstances, I let the fork have it with a real good blow.  Off it came.  I
have a couple of gear pullers, but could not get a good purchase on the arm
with the box in the car.  Maybe a Pittman arm puller has arms better suited to
Pittman arms.  I could have gone out and bought another puller, but decided to
try the link separator instead.

Couldn't get the box out of the car with the
amr in place, and couldn't get the arm off with any of my pullers.  Sort of a
Catch 22 situation.

I replaced the original box with a used unit which has
very smooth travel throughout the range of motion, and no on-center clearance
issues.  Been happy with the substitution.

I understand that a couple of
minor frame modifications are needed to fit a late recirculating ball Type "B"
box to an early car.

Gary