[Roadsters] OT Re: SPAM on roadster list

Pete Peters ppeters914 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 6 12:04:21 MST 2009

It's really as simple as changing the oil and checking the air in the tires. <g>

STEP 1: Install good (yes, that can be subjective) antivirus -AND- antispam software, and keep them updated. I use Symantec Corporate AntiVirus (I like AVG as a freebie) and SpyWareBlaster.

STEP 2: Don't open questionable attachments.

Mac (and Linux?) users are usually affected less because they're less of a target, but they're not immune.

Neither step will protect you if your ISP is passing that garbage on to its users instead of trapping it. I have Comcast (starting with @Home and ATTBI), and have rarely received anything not legit.

Neither step will protect you from the AOL idiots. Sorry, but my experience is that the majority of AOL users are unsophisticated users as that is/was AOL's target market. They will click and/or open anything from anyone (and keep forwarding jokes & viruses....sigh). It's not just AOL, but.....

The spammers keep figuring out new ways to get past the protection software, which is why some stuff will still get through. Another reason to stay updated.

Da nada.

Pete "geeking since DOS 2.1"