[Roadsters] Brake Calipers

peter harrison granvillecomputing at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 20 19:19:11 MST 2009

Thanks to scott & pat - air worked Wonderfully - took all advice and carefully
protected expelled piston -

1) even so one of the pins is bent slightly (5 to 8 degrees) - problem??

2) The calipers are numbered,  2 of them 99 - one 96 and one 97 - again since
i forget to mark their origin any idea as to which is which.

3) there is some pitting (slight) but it appears to be in the area where the
piston doesn't travel - problems??

4) Reinstallation - just gently press piston back onto retaining pin??

By the by - Linda suggested removing the protective cover on two of the brake
lines that had it - lots of rust on one and some sort of galvanitic powder on
the other - cleaned up well and primed and painted.

Looking at the wheel well and how the fender is close to the body - I can see
corrosion possibilities (water traps) where the fender hits the firewall and
where it is attached underneath to the body. Recognizing that this is a
California car  - however, is there any merit in running some sort of sealant
down where the fender meets the body and even in putting thin rubber spacers
underneath where the two bolts attach the fender to the body?? On my car,
there is clearly some corrosion at the bottom (partly due to the fact that the
inner fender is folded over) , even though the bolt holes are bright and
clean. Any thoughts on defensive measures in that area??

As to the above, I removed about 1 lb of debris from the area behind the
antenna (a significant trap) - haven't started on the passenger side yet -

Engine is ready and looking beautiful - thanks to Kevin D.

Perhaps too much bling, (i.e. water tower, pump, timing chain cover, carb
stacks, valve cover all polished excessively) but that is a consequence of too
much wine. a dremel and ME having nothing to do of an evening during the last
few weeks or so.

Later

Peter