[Roadsters] New engine run-in, idle speed

O'Farrell, Fergus Fergus.OFarrell at ngc.com
Fri Sep 26 06:59:30 MDT 2008

Shawn,
While I certainly am far from a new engine run-in, 1000 rpm idle on a
U-20 is not bad, certainly not a worry of generating heat to be a
concern to stagnant cooling.  The engine mounts are so loosey-goosey
that I have found anything much under 900 is too much like a clothes
dryer at stoplites (although I seldom take my clothes dryer to
stoplites).
Also, there are a lot of surfaces being run-in/lapped/cylinder hones
being worn in at the moment, I don't think cam folks want you to run at
low rpms (reduced oil pressure) for quite a while anyway.
Enjoy the ride.    A standard hydraulic hose shop should be able to make
you a new distributor lube tube.
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA