[Roadsters] belt problem

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Mon Sep 22 19:52:30 MDT 2008

Hit "Send" instead of "Paste" the first time.  Sorry about that.

Shaun,

You mean you put it on the lower left (driver's) side?  Did you have the
correct brackets for mounting on the upper right (passenger's) side?
The'67s had the alternator on the upper right.  Nissan moved it to the lower
left to accommodate the air injection pump for the emission control system.
In the lower left, the alternator is a) more difficult to access, and b)
subject to much more heat from the exhaust manifold even if you have the
correct heat shield (which you probably don't).  I moved the alternator on
the '69 U20 I put in my '66 1600 back in 1972.  At that time, I was able to
buy the correct factory brackets for the '67 alternator mounting.  They're
not hard to make, though.  I'd put it in the upper right.

Gary