[Roadsters] brake flushing

Jim InVirginia nqrithfordatsun at msn.com
Sun Sep 14 06:20:58 MDT 2008

Keep in mind that all brake systems get some moisture into them eventually.
Brake fluid absorbs and mixes with water so that water drops do not freeze and
cause you to have blocked lines and a loss of brakes during cold weather.

So, silicone fluid will work great and maybe not have corrosion issues, but be
careful on cold days.

What I do is just bleed the brakes every 2-3 years to prolong the life of the
brake componants.  I use good quality normal DOT 3 fluid.

Just my two cents,
Best Regards,
Jim

67 pushrod 2L 5 spd "SAKE RKT"
66 parts car
72 Sportwagon 510 project
96 Miata "M" daily driver> From: aultgc at att.net> To: tputland at charter.net;
datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net> Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 21:03:12 -0500>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] brake flushing> > Tim,> > Here's what I did years ago
starting with DOT 3 fluid:> > 1. Drained the system.> 2. Refilled with
alcohol.> 3. Drained alcohol and flushed with silicone (DOT 5).> 4. Filled
with silicone and bled.> > Worked great ever since. Silicone fluid is
expensive, and I probably put a > quart through the system after the alcohol.
But, silicone is > non-hygroscopic -- won't absorb water -- so the chance of
corroding brake > parts or wearing out rubber seals is minimized. I wouldn't
consider > anything but silicone in a non-race car. Just my opinion.> > Gary>
> ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Tim" <tputland at charter.net>> To:
"datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net>> Sent:
Saturday, September 13, 2008 11:35 AM> Subject: [Roadsters] brake flushing> >
> >I want to flush the brakes on my SRL. And I want to put the best >
>recommended fluid back in. I do not know what fluid is currently in the >
>brake system. I may be able to find out if I can find the phone number for >
>the previous owner.> >> > My questions are these:> >> > What is the best way
to completely flush the entire brake system?> >> > And> >> > Does it matter
what fluid I put back in if I do not know what is currently > > in the system?
I would hate to put in fresh and find out it is not > > compatible with any
possible remnants of the old fluid.> >> > TIA from rainy southern WI.> >> >
http://www.team.net/donate.html> >> > You are subscribed as aultgc at att.net> >>