[Roadsters] SR-71

steb stebharvey at ameritech.net
Thu May 29 07:11:32 MDT 2008

I was at Kadina AFB with my P-3 squadron (VP-60) back in the 80's. Our
hanger was next to the SR-71 hanger and we would watch them taxi past us
as we worked on the flight line. We were told by the Air Force that if
we took a picture of the aircraft we would be arrested and our camera
would be taken away and not returned. As it taxied past you could see
the fuel running out of the wing panels which was a little unsettling.
They had a red line painted in front of the SR-71 hanger and if you
crossed over that line the guards had the right to shoot you and then
ask questions. The funny thing is that with all of the security, the
following weekend they had an open house and allowed anyone to approach
the aircraft and even climb a ladder platform and view the cockpit. Of
course the follow Monday security was again in place and you couldn't
get close. There's nothing like watching an SR-71 make a high speed
takeoff. Gone in 30 seconds!

Steve Harvey