[Roadsters] EI distributors

Eric Frisbee efrisbee at charter.net
Mon May 26 21:34:07 MDT 2008

Thanks for the info Greg!!   Unfortunately, some rather immature gentlemen
worked very hard to destroy that thread  and 311s was forced to shut the
thread down, but all is not lost.   I'll be sure to add your information to
the mix in an upcoming project. :)

And a simple heartfelt thank you for being among the first to build a
working EI distributor.   Amazing work and truly one of the best mods a
roadster owner could do to their car!   Thank you for your pioneering
spirit!

Eric

Hi gang, just got a second here.  Apparently there is an on-going battle on
311s.org about who created the first EI distributor and I got mentioned.
Since I am not on the forum and don't really have time to post to it, I am
posting here in the hopes that someone will copy and paste this to the forum
to clear things up (I guess it got kinda heated).
Anyway, the history of the EI dizzy from my experience is this:  In 1987 I
went to Shasta.  There I met a guy from the Napa valley who had converted an
EI dizzy from a 310 for his Roadster.  I have no idea what his name was and
have never seen him again.  I thought that was way cool, so I went back to
Long Beach (where I lived at the time) and told my friend Bill Beaubier.  We
decided to hit the wrecking yards and see what we could come up with.  Trial
and error and some help from Dave Premo about the curve as I recall and soon
we had a running EI.  Bill made a few as I recall for other people...our
goal
was to simply help other Roadsters run better.  Years later I heard that
Gary
B was making them and my old one had worn out.  Gary did a custom one for me
and did a great job.  Gary put together a great manual etc.  I do not know
if
Gary did this as a "copy" or simply did what Bill and I did but who really
cares?  He did a great, professional job, and I have recommended his work
for
many years.  Plus he had improved the original, in that he could do custom
curves, which was critical for my high compression U20.  Gary should be
commended for a terrific product and for all the work he did.
So, that is the "true" story.  The EI conversion is one of the best mods you
can do for your car, so just be glad that someone is continuing to make
them.
Best Roadstering to you all!
Greg Burrows

Checked by AVG.