[Roadsters] Carb Problems

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Mon May 19 20:42:00 MDT 2008

You should not have to raise the needles on the carbs.  If everything else is
working correctly, you should set the position of the needles so the shoulders
are even with the bottoms of the pistons.  A small straightedge will allow you
to check.

Z-Therapy does a great job on SUs.  It's $650 for a complete
rebuild, or $250 for just the throttle bodies.  If you know your needles and
nozzles are not worn, you could get by with the throttle bodies.  But, there
are so many little things which can go wrong with SUs.....
 I was helping a
guy in Indianapolis with his '68 2000 with worn throttle shafts.  He bought a
remanufactured set from Z-Therapy.  I put them on the car, fired it up, and it
ran fine right out of the box.  Idle was a little fast for my taste, but that
was easily rectified.  The car still has some problems, but carbs are not
oneof them.

Gary Ault