[Roadsters] Victory - Another Roadster lives

hallosb at juno.com hallosb at juno.com
Tue Mar 25 21:39:43 MST 2008

I fired up the Roadster for the first time today in many years. Pulling the
distributor and priming the oil pump was a pain but, it sure makes setting the
points easy. You just spin it to the high point on the cam lobe right there in
your hands.
I must have had the timing and carb set-up pretty close because it was no
struggle at all to start and it idled nicely.  Oil pressure looked good. There
was a nasty rattle, though.  I suspected the water pump so, I disconnected the
fan belt.  Noise went away.  I shut it down, grabbed the fan blade, and
noticed lots of play in the water pump shaft.  So, looks like I'll need a
replacement.
I still have a very long way to go but, the sound of the engine sure provides
inspiration.  With any luck, I'll have the old Roadster back on the road,
again.
Thanks to all on the list. I can't even count the number of times this list
has helped me solve a problem I couldn't figure out.
Dan McHatton
'66 1600