[Roadsters] Was points, now NGK BP6E versus B6E

Keith0alan at aol.com Keith0alan at aol.com
Sun Mar 23 07:33:56 MST 2008

In a message dated 3/22/2008 6:39:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
hallosb at juno.com writes:

Thanks  again to all for the many offers of point sets.  I'm going to see  how
the car runs with the points I have first but, I'm a little confused on  the
spark plug recommendations.
Clymer Manual and NGK web site say the  correct plug is B6ES.
The Chilton manual, vendor manual, and 311s.org site  say the correct plug is
BP6ES.
I noticed the BP6ES electrode sticks out  a little more than the B6ES plug.
Anyone know which one is correct. I'm  running a completely stock 1600 if, it
matters.
TIA,
Dan  McHatton
'66 1600

The original was B6ES. My understanding is that the P, projected tip, is
good for older high mileage engines that tend to foul plugs. Either one will
work fine. Sometimes the B6ES is a little hard to find. The BP6ES, BR6ES, BPR6ES
(resistor) all will work fine.

My theory on plugs is to use the original manufacturer. Japaneese plugs in  a
Japaneese car, European plugs in a European car, American plugs in an
American  car. I've heard too many horror stories about Bosh or Champion plugs in
Japaneese engines. According to the books they should be the same but for some
reason they really are not. Met one bike mechanic that could tell by sound if
the bike had Champion plugs in it.

keith

Home.