[Roadsters] Oil Pump Spin Up / Death of points forever??

hallosb at juno.com hallosb at juno.com
Wed Mar 19 12:31:24 MST 2008

My engine has had a long slumber. I marked and then pulled the distributor to
spin up the oil pump as suggested on the 311s.org site.  I built up pressure
and had oil coming out of the tube which lubricates the distributor gears but,
I didn't see anything come out of the valve train. Is this normal?  Do I need
to plug up the tube that oils the distributor to build up pressure in the
valve train?
I also tried to buy a new set of points.  I plan to go to an electronic
ignition later but, right now I just want to fire up the engine and see how it
runs. The Carquest guy couldn't find a part number in his book.  (This guy is
no idiot, either. He's been selling parts for many years.)  I said, "That's
funny I found a part number at the NAPA web site." So, I went to NAPA.  NAPA
guy finds a part number, says he would have to order, and then the bad news.
NAPA guy says that part number is no longer in production. So..... Maybe my
local guys don't know the magic decoder ring to find the part number. ...or...
These things are really going out of production.  If that's the case, anyone
wanting to stay with points may want to buy up a couple extra sets.
In the meantime, I cleaned up my distributor and points. Since I didn't buy
new points, I didn't get the nifty little packet of grease for the distributor
cam. Would dielectric grease work as a substitute?
TIA,
Dan McHatton
'66 1600