[Roadsters] mirror removal

John McCarthy bmccarthy67 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 15 00:24:11 MST 2008

Gary, I know it's easy on the 67.5 because the mirror has screws to take of
the retaining ring around the casing. I bought another mirror off of eBay (I
think it was for a Z?)...anyway I took the glass out and took both parts to a
glass shop and they cut the new mirror to fit. I have a 67 and I know the
chrome dash mirror is even smaller so maybe you could just by a low cost
mirror on line or even in the Help! section of an auto parts store...take that
glass and your new chrome piece to a shop and have it cut to fit. You can try
some of the methods mentioned that use heat...but the silver coating on the
back of the mirror is so thin you may lose some regardless of your care and
diligence.

v/r
Buddy
> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:41:48 -0700> From: garytew at cox.net> To:
datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net> Subject: [Roadsters] mirror removal> > Has
anyone successfully removed the mirror glass from the mirror on a > dash
mounted rear view?. I had a couple of mirrors re chromed. I > disassembled
them first, breaking the mirrors in the process. Neither > mirror was in
salvageable condition so I wasn't concerned. I've since > had difficulty
finding automotive mirror material locally and had to use > regular mirror
glass in my restoration piece. I'm told the auto glass > is not 100%
reflective, letting some light pass through so the driver > isn't blinded by
headlights at night. Now I have a mirror in poor > condition but with a good
mirror glass that I'd like to salvage and put > in my re chromed piece. I'd
rather not destroy the mirror casing but > will sacrifice it to get the mirror
out intact. Sorry for the rambling > ?? Thanks> > Gary Tew> Peoria, AZ> VG30
http://www.team.net/donate.html> > You are subscribed as
http://www.team.net/archive> >