[Roadsters] Passed 100mph for the first time!

dave daveandlindab at comcast.net
Sat Mar 1 15:22:50 MST 2008

The GPS is good if you can maintain the speed for a minute or so.  Depends
on signal strength.  The GPS in my work van right now shows a top speed of
141 MPH...Not likley.  It must have been in a fringe area and suddenly
decided it was "x" from where it's last good fix was "y" seconds ago, and
it's little brain did the math.

One real good way is to get your odometer calibrated by the mile markers
over maybe 10 or 20 miles, longer the better, at normal speed,this will give
you speedo error at the mid range. Then get up to maybe 3000rpm,same range,
and look at the speedo and work out the RPM vs MPH ratio. If there is no
clutch slippage, this is about 100% accurate on a manual trans.

Other end of the spectrum from Roadsters, I had a 340 Dodge Dart, 4 speed
manual, so no slippage, that turned 2000 rpm @45 mph, so 22.5 mph/1000rpm.
I had it up to 7000+ rpm in 4th on night, pretty sure it was  over 7200, and
the only working dash light ws the tach, so I did the math later. 7000 works
out to 157.5, 7200 is 162 etc. Wondered why the Z28 in the other lane was
dropping back so fast. Bad idea on Bias ply tires, but that's when I was
young and imortal.

Dave Brisco
ECR